Føroya Fróðskaparfelag (Societas Scientiarum Færoensis) was established in 1952. Ever since the Society has published the annual Fróðskaparrit (Annales Societatis Scientiarum Færoensis) with articles on all branches of knowledge.
In its early days the Society concentrated on collecting linguistic material and preparing dictionaries. A language advisory board, Málstovnurin, was established in 1958. A book exchange arrangement was made with institutions in many countries, and thus a comprehensive and valueable collection of scientific literature was provided.
In 1964 the Society arranged the first course in Faroese language and literature for schoolteachers and other students. At the same time the Museum of Natural History arranged courses in natural sciences. The outcome of these activities was the foundation of an institution of higher education, and this was achieved when, in 1965, the Fróðskaparsetur Føroya (Academia Færoensis) was established with the object of undertaking research and higher education. Today there are three departsments: the department of Faroese language and literature, the department of natural sciences, and the department of theology.
Nine fulltime teachers are responsible for the 2-year courses given at three departments. In this article the history of the Society and the Academy is outlined since their establishment.
Two men are regarded the pillars of both the Society and the Academy: Hanus Debes Joensen, dr. med., and Jóannes Rasmussen, dr. scient. h.c.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.